Military Students on Temporary Duty
-- Currently the rates for Honolulu
are as follows:
- Maximum Lodging is $177.
- Local Meals is $119.
- Proportional Meals is $67.
- Local Incidental is $30.
- Maximum Per Diem is $326.
-- Is not available for military students on orders to Tripler!
- The Joint Travel Regulations (par. 1265) requires travelers to use government lodging, privatized lodging, or DoD Preferred commercial lodging before other lodging options.
- Majority of hotels in Honolulu are approved for government lodging. Please call hotel to make your reservation.
- If you are looking at renting a house, condominium, AirBnB, VRBO, etc., be aware that all rentals may or may not be reimburse, and that lodging must be a DoD approved lodging facility.
- You are responsible for making your own lodging and transportation arrangements.
- Please bear in mind that you will be required to pay for your lodging and rental car in advance of your travel settlement.
- Have a credit card ready when you book your reservation, otherwise it may not be accepted. And don’t forget to find out what the hotel’s cancellation policy is so that you don’t lose your deposit if you decide to stay elsewhere.
- Verify that the room rate you are being charged does not exceed the maximum daily lodging rate you are entitled to.
- Make sure you inform lodging representative that you are on official military temporary duty orders, and that you provide such when you check-in with the lodging facility.
- Ensure that you have a sufficient balance of funds or line of credit available prior to your departure for Tripler.
- Any cost above your Per Diem is your responsibility.
- Please remember that receipts are required for all reimbursable expenses.
- Procurement of food is not a reimbursable expense, while in a TDY status here. You will receive approximately $119 a day which will be included in your reimbursement after you file your travel voucher.
- Reimbursement for internet access charges while TDY during your hotel stay is not reimbursable unless specified in your orders.
- Students are not reimbursed for laundry/dry cleaning expenses during TDY.
- Unlike CONUS locations, you are not entitled to be reimbursed $2 per day for laundry/dry cleaning expenses because Hawai'i is an OCONUS duty assignment.
- The cost incurred during TDY travel for personal laundry/dry-cleaning and pressing of clothing is not a miscellaneous reimbursable expense for OCONUS travel and is part of the incidental expense (IE) allowance included within the per diem rates approved for OCONUS travel.