Student affiliates (trainees) consist of civilian/military medical students, rotating residents, fellows, practicums, nursing students, student volunteers and students from other health and administrative disciplines.
Criteria for the acceptance of outside students per Army Regulation 351-3, Professional Education and Training Programs of the Army Medical Department, Glossary, Section II, Terms: Trainee -- A student who is enrolled not less than half-time in an educational institution which requires clinical training as part of a health care education or training program. The program must be accredited by the appropriate national agency or professional certifying body recognized by the Secretary of Education. Secretary of Education recognizes only the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Professional Education as accrediting bodies for undergraduate medical education. Students must meet federal, state, and local standards regarding the employment of minors."
Reminder that no educational rotation or training will be scheduled during the months of November and December.
Non-US citizens enrolled in formal education and training programs at an accredited school or institution in the United States who require access to the hospital's information systems network can expect at least a four-month delay getting access due to required security background checks, therefore, please plan accordingly. United States Army policy does not permit us to accept any student from an international medical school even if the student is a United States citizen.
PHI and PII information
- Protected Health Information (PHI) and Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- All student PHI/PII information must be encrypted and sent via the DoD SAFE (Department of Defense Secure Access File Exchange) website to appropriate educational coordinator/sponsor.
- Student/Trainee will request a Drop-off Code Request from their educational coordinator/sponsor to upload PHI/PII information.
- Student/Trainee will receive an e-mail with a link to submit your documentation.
- Follow Instructions contained on the website to ensure delivery.
- Be sure to click the Encrypted File Box on the DoD SAFE website.
- Any non-PHI/PII documentation, such as BLS card, Letter of Good Standing, HIPAA, and Cyber Awareness Certificates can be emailed directly to the educational coordinator/sponsor.
All students/trainees will
ensure that they have completed and are in compliance with the below listed Requirements
, prior to starting training and that you have provided such documentation to appropriate educational coordinator/sponsor per the Submission Time Line
- Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) Account.
- All students participating in training here must have a JKO Account
- A JKO account is required to complete Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA), DHA US001, Department of Defense (DoD) Cyber Awareness Challenge, DoD-US1364-2X (X equals current year) and Military Health System (MHS) Genesis Training.
- Click on the following link https://jkodirect.jten.mil/ to log into JKO and select one of the following based on your situation and follow instructions.
- If you have a CAC or VA PIV, select the Login using CAC / VA PIV Login button to automatically create an account or to access your account.
- If you do not have a CAC, fill out an online Form using one of the below Links in the Login window.
- Military / Government Personnel Registration.
- Select this link if you have a .MIL, .GOV, or specified .EDU email address, but do not have a CAC reader. You must have direct access to this email address to complete the account creation process. Allow up to 48 hours for JKO to create your account.
- Once you fill out and submit the form, JKO will send an automated email to your .MIL, .GOV, or specified .EDU email address that requires you to confirm you have access to that email address. Follow the instructions in the email. This process is in place for security reasons.
- Non-Government Personnel / Sponsored Account Registration.
- Select this link if you do not have a CAC, nor a .MIL, or .GOV email address. You are required to have a Sponsor who is a U.S. Military or Federal Government Civilian who has one of the following email address extensions: .MIL, .GOV, EDU. You will need the Sponsor's Name, Phone Number, and Email Address.
- Once you fill out and submit the form, an automated email to your Sponsor's official email address that you provided, and requires the Sponsor to validate your requirement for a JKO account. Your Sponsor must follow the instructions in the email. This process is in place for security reasons. Once JKO receives your Sponsor's validation of your account request, allow up to 48 hours for JKO to create your account. Once your account is created you should receive login instructions. The instructions will come in 2 (two) separate emails. One email with the username and the other email with a token (which is a temporary password good for only 24 hours) to log into the site and complete the account process. These emails may show up in your junk or spam folders from DHA (Defense Health Agency) Global Service Center.
- User name/password forgotten. If you have forgotten your user name, password / expired token or received a token click on the appropriate box on the JKO website for additional instructions or you can call or email the JKO Help Desk for assistance.
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Only American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) cards will be accepted.
- ACLS card will not be accepted in place of BLS.
- If card is to expire during your training, please ensure that it is renewed prior to your arrival.
- Occupational Health Requirements
- Must meet Tripler's immunization (minimum essential) requirements.
- Failure to comply with immunization requirements can result in the cancellation or a delay in the start of your training/observation.
- All students/trainees must be pre-cleared by occupational health prior to the start of your training/observation.
- Do not send any other health information!
- Computer/Network Access With the Defense Heath Agency (DHA) assuming control of computer access and fingerprinting requirements for civilian students, educational coordinator/sponsor will need to contact the DHA Security Branch for guidance.
- Letter of Good Standing (LOGS)
- Civilian students/trainees must provide a LOGS from their Office of Student Affairs, e.g.
- Letter should include, at a minimum, that student has professional liability insurance and personal health insurance.
- School ID Badge -- All students will always have a picture ID badge in their possession.
Submission Timeline (STL)
- No later than 50 days out from the start of training, all students/trainees need to provide appropriate educational coordinator/sponsor immunization requirements with all supporting clinical documentation
- No later than 30 days out from the start of training, all students/trainees need to provide appropriate educational coordinator/sponsor the following.
- Copy of Defense Health Agency (DHA) HIPAA certificate. All students/trainees are required to take the DHA training HIPAA training and not school.
- Copy of BLS card
- Letter of Good Standing.
- Copy of DoD or Army Cyber Awareness Challenge certificate for those students getting computer access.
- Transcript of assigned Genesis training completed for those getting computer access.
- Copy of temporary duty orders, military students only.