de Quervain's Syndrome
Tendonitis/Tenosynovitis of the extensor policies brevis and abductor policies longus within the extensor sheath of the first digit.
Initial Diagnosis and Management
- History and physical exam.
- Plain films, MRI, CT not required.
- Splinting: Wrist or thumb spica splint for one month (at minimum for aggravating activities).
- Activity Modification.
- Work simplification techniques.
- Modalities (i.e., heat, ice, ultrasound) as clinically indicated.
- Prescribe NSAID.
Ongoing Management and Objectives
Modification/continuation of initial management.
Indications for Specialty Care Referral
- Consider referral for injection in chronic cases.
- X-ray for chronic/traumatic cases.
Criteria for Return to Primary Care