Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program
Tripler Army Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery Residency is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and Residency Review Committee (RRC) for Orthopaedic Surgery to meet the requirements of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS). It is a five-year program, encompassing training from PGY-1 through PGY-5 levels. It is approved by the ACGME for three residents at each PGY level.
Residency positions are filled by persons meeting the requirements for Graduate Medical Education established by Army regulation, i.e., active duty military officers selected by the Program Director and approved by the Office of the Surgeon General. Selection of residents starting at the PGY-1 level is made based upon medical school transcripts, academic performance, ability to learn, ability to work with colleagues, potential for success as a military physician, and interviews. Application for the program is made to the Office of the Surgeon General in the fall of the year preceding the start of residency training.
- Located in Honolulu, HI
- Close working relationship between the attending and the resident with 1 to 1 ratio
- Easy attending staff accessibility
- Diverse patient population; over 250,000 active military population and 171,000 family members and beneficiaries to include VA patients and retirees
- Tertiary referral center for the Pacific (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, residents of Somoa & Guam)
- Outreach clinics in Somoa, Pulau, Fiji, Guam, and Yap
- Supports forward deployed units in 40 countries through the Pacific
- Wide spectrum of untreated, advanced stage orthopaedic problems from patient population from Pacific Island Health Care Project
- High degree of house staff responsibility
- Top quality of attending staff, an excellent balance of experienced senior surgeons and younger, recently fellowship-trained surgeons
- Active academic environment with robust graduate education administrative and financial support
- Trauma training at level I trauma centers
- Dedicated research time
- The opportunity to live and work in paradise!