Appointments & Referrals
Access to care
If you need to get care at Tripler Army Medical Center, the priorities for getting appointments are identified in Department of Defense policy and are listed below:
- Active duty service members
- Active duty family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Young Adult – Prime Option
All others can get care if space is available after Tripler Army Medical Center has met the health care needs of the three categories listed above within DOD access standards. This includes:
- Active duty family members enrolled in TRICARE Select or TRICARE Young Adult – Select Option
- Retired service members and their eligible family members
- DOD civilians and contractors
All patients, including those listed for space-available care, can continue to visit our emergency room
and fill prescriptions at our pharmacy
How do I find a civilian provider in Hawaii?
The overseas contractor, International SOS, has established a network of qualified providers in all overseas areas for TRICARE beneficiaries. To find an overseas provider, search the Overseas Provider Directory
. If you're not a TRICARE beneficiary, please contact your medical insurance provider for assistance.
Are you a DOD Civilian or Contractor?
If you’re a DOD civilian employee or contractor stationed in Hawaii, you should contact your medical insurance provider for help in finding health care options.
Accessing Health Care at Tripler Army Medical Center
Tripler Army Medical Center, Desmond T. Doss Health Clinic, and the Warrior Ohana Medical Home use a central appointment system that allows a patient to dial just one number to make appointments with several clinics. Patients should not expect to see a doctor without an appointment, except for emergencies and during announced walk-in clinic hours.
The central appointment line is menu-driven. This allows you to direct your call to the appropriate clinic appointment clerk, by choosing from several main menu choices, then choosing from other series of menu choices, to contact the specialty clinic or office you want.
Family members should have their sponsor's social security number and other required DEERS information available when they call for an appointment. Appointment personnel may ask the caller questions to help them evaluate the health situation of the person requiring care so that they receive the appropriate care.
The phone number to the appointment line is 888-683-2778
. The appointment line is open Monday-Friday, except holidays, 6:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please note that some specialty clinics have different hours of operation and if you select that clinic from the automated menu, it may not be available the same hours.
The optimal days to reach the appointment line are Thursday and Friday afternoons. Our peak phone volume days are Monday, Tuesday, and after holidays. The shortest wait times are between 9-11 a.m. and after 2 p.m.
Do you know about MHS GENESIS Patient Portal? You can schedule a variety of appointments at any time online by visiting https://patientportal.mhsgenesis.health.mil/
and creating an account with Tricare Online will let you make appointments, refill prescriptions, view Electronic Health Record data, access secure messaging, and more.
Patients who find they cannot keep a scheduled appointment should cancel it as soon as possible, so that another patient can fill the appointment time. To call after-hours for a cancellation, dial 888 -683-2778.
Appointments that are not canceled more than 24 hours in advance are considered a same-day cancellation. In order to cancel on the same day, please call central appointments at 888-683-2778
and select the options to make an appointment in order to cancel with a central appointing clerk.
- Active Duty Service Members must obtain a referral from their PCM for all services except emergency care. Failure to obtain proper referral will result in denied claims and financial obligation
- All other TRICARE Prime, non-active duty member, do not require a referral for Urgent Care or outpatient behavioral health services.
- Specialty Referrals
- Once a specialty referral is written, it will go through the Military Medical Facility process or Right of First Refusal (ROFR).You should receive a call from the Military Medical Facility within 3 business days. If you do not, please make sure you follow up by calling 1-888-MTF-APPT (683-2778).
- If the referral is redirected to the network, you should receive an authorization from Health Net Federal Services through their secure portal within 10 business days. To check the status of your authorization, please go to www.tricare-west.com and create a profile to download the authorization letter.
- Please ensure your address and phone numbers are correct in DEERS. Update your information here.
- Hawaii Referral Center: (808) 433-2262
More information about referrals and authorizations visit https://www.tricare.mil/FindDoctor/Appointments/Referrals